Standing on the Side of Love
A Special Welcome to our Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer friends
Pacific Unitarian Church celebrates our rich diversity and welcomes people from all walks of life, religious backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, and sexual Interweave, PUC has joined the UUA and other UU churches in Standing on the Side of Love to harness the power of love to challenge exclusion, oppression and violence.
The Standing on The Side of Love organization was inspired by the 2008 shooting at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, which was targeted because they are welcoming to LGBT people and have a liberal stance on many issues.
PUC marches in the 30th Long Beach Pride Parade
We were one of the first Unitarian Universalist Association congregations to earn the Welcoming Congregation distinction which indicates that we "include and address the needs of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender persons at every level of congregational life—in worship, in programs, in social occasions, and in rites of passage —welcoming not only their presence, but the gifts and particularities of their lives as well."
Some activities in support of this
Welcoming Congregation distinction include:
- On the second Friday of alternating months, Standing on the Side of Love hosts a GLBTQ-themed movie to help bring awareness to the community and to generate discussion in a safe and open environment. Check our newsletter The View, this website, or our Facebook page for screening announcement.
- The congregation voted overwhelmingly for PUC to sign the Amicus brief supporting marriage equality sent to the California Supreme Court.
- Rev. John and many church members picketed outside of the LA County Courthouse on the first day of legal same sex marriages in California to show our support of gay marriage. "Wedding cupcakes" were given to many happy couples.
- PUC hosted a workshop put on by the UU Legislative Ministries of California to train people to talk effectively about the Prop 8 initiative. This led to many church members participating in phone banks and other activities supporting the "No On Prop 8" effort.
- Rev. John and other members marched in the Long Beach protest over the passing of Prop 8.
- Rev John regularly features sermon topics supporting equality for all. He also has published several guest columns in the local newspaper featuring similar topics.
- PUC will serve as Host congregation for the national UUA Interweave conference to be held in Spring 2009.
- Rev. John Morehouse has been performing same sex union ceremonies and marriages for over 20 years.
- Many of our youth, along
with their adult chaperones, participate in annual AIDS Walk LA.
If you would like additional information you can visit the SOSL website or contact Brad Shreve SOSL@pacificunitarian.org.